State Benefits and Programs


Kansas Hero's Scholarship

The Kansas Hero’s Scholarship Act provides an opportunity for eligible dependents and spouses of certain deceased and disabled public safety officers and military personnel to attend an eligible Kansas postsecondary educational institution without payment of tuition and required fees. The student will be responsible for all other charges associated with the student’s academic program – including books, materials, living costs, etc. Click below for more information.

Operation Recognition
The State of Kansas sponsors "Operation Recognition" to honor World War II and Korean era Veterans who left school to join the military and never received a high school diploma.

Operation Recognition

In recognition of their outstanding contribution, The Kansas Commission on Veterans Affairs Office, through a program called "Operation Recognition" for WWII and Korean War Veterans, is working with schools, cities, and service organizations to award Honorary High School Diplomas to qualifying WWII and Korean War Veterans. This is a small, overdue gesture of our society's gratitude for the sacrifice these individuals made in the name of freedom.


  • All "Honorably" Discharged Veterans who served in WWII between September 16, 1940 and December 31, 1946, and Korean War Veterans who served between June 27, 1950 and January 31, 1955, who did not graduate from High School are eligible.
  • Those who have obtained their diploma, but entered service before they could participate in their graduation ceremonies, are also encouraged to apply.
  • Diplomas can be awarded posthumously.

Required Paperwork

  • Application for "WWII and Korean War Veterans" High School Diploma (Operation Recognition Form)
  • Copy of "Honorable" Discharge papers attached to application
  • Discharge papers may be requested through the local County Registrar Office or through Military Archives, 2722 SW Topeka Blvd, Topeka, KS 66611. Requests submitted on Standard Form 180 (1 MB PDF) only. (KANSAS ONLY)

National Guard and Disabled Veterans Hunting/Fishing Licenses, and State Park Permits

Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) offers active members of the Kansas Army and Air National Guard who are Kansas residents the opportunity to receive free Kansas hunting and fishing licenses, as well as free state park permits.

National Guard and Disabled Veterans Hunting/Fishing Licenses, and State Park Permits

To receive free licenses and permits, Kansas guardsmen apply to KDWPT's Pratt Operations Office. Depending on the particular licenses and/or state park permits they request, they will be required to submit appropriate documentation.

Application forms for licenses and permits can be downloaded from the KDWPT website at Click "Services," "Publications," "Hunting," then "Application 2013 KS National Guard Hunting, Fishing, and Park Vehicle Permit." The forms must be signed by the National Guard member's unit commander and mailed to KDWPT with photocopies of appropriate documentation. 

Military Distinctive License Plates

You may make application for a Kansas distinctive military license plate by meeting the qualifications outlined in the Kansas Statutes Annotated listed below. Applications should be presented to your local County Treasurer's office

Homestead Act

Are disabled Veterans eligible for a Homestead refund?

Yes, starting in 2009 disabled Veterans can claim a homestead refund. Veterans must be Kansas residents, honorably discharged, and certified to have 50% or more permanent disability sustained through military actions. Surviving spouses of deceased disabled Veterans are also eligible to claim a Homestead refund and remain eligible until such time as they remarry.  An original Veterans Disability Determination Letter or Letter from a Regional V.A. that includes the disability date verifying the disability occurred prior to Jan. 1, 2009 and percentage of permanent disability must be filed with the Homestead Refund Claim (K-40H). Kansas revenue

Surviving spouse of active duty service members who died in the line of duty are also eligible to claim a Homestead refund and remain eligible until such time as they remarry.

Other Benefits
  • Birth/Marriage/Death Certificates - (Free for Veterans when request made through the KCVAO for VA purposes only)
  • State Income Tax - (Military retirement not taxed by state)
  • Education Assistance - (contact your local Veteran Service Representative for details)
  • Vietnam Medallion Application